Captain America looks great, I want to look like captain America 100% naturally. Let me start by saying that a physique at the level of Chris Evans is achievable naturally for the majority of natural lifters.
If we want to achieve a certain look, we must “breakdown” that physique in order for us to determine what is our main focus and our goals. In this case you’ve seen Captain Americas physique and you’re shocked! He does have a great physique so let’s look at his approximate stats.
In my opinion the winter soldier is the movie in which he was in better overall shape so I will make this assumptions:
These are not his official stats, but they are a great estimate from seeing his physique and examining it closely, most of the online body stats are manipulated and actors can always lie about their weight.
- 6ft tall or 183 cm
- Weight: Approximately 183-188 lbs at 10-12% Bodyfat
- Flexed Arms: 16-17 inches
- Waist: around 33 inches
- Chest: 55-57 inches
- Neck: 17-18 inches
- Thighs: sound 26 inches
- Calves: never seen
So this are my estimated stats, according to this statistics I already know that this person has a great level of muscular development. His physique actually stands up to the “golden measures” of bodybuilding which are characterized by a slim waist, wide back, well developed legs and glutes, and great arm and chest proportions.
Chris Evans achieved this apparently “fast” but the reality Is he already was in a good condition for Fantastic Four but he didn’t really stood out. Achieving this kind of physique will require you to get really strong in compound lifts while doing accessory work in certain muscle groups to really “emphasize” the superhero look. This is also accompanied with a caloric surplus for you to gain weight and a caloric deficit and then a followed bulk if you are in a high body fat percentage.
What we will try to accomplish with this routine is build overall mass, with the right exercises and put muscle in the right places to create that “illusion” of a V taper. To be honest Chris Evans has kind of a “bro physique” in which the muscles that stand out the most are his chest and his arms, back is definitely good but it doesn’t stand out as much, he also has good legs and glutes development. This physique is at the high level when it comes to natural bodybuilding, you definitely won’t see a lot of guys walking around looking like this, so if you can get to this level you will be at a very respectable level of physique development, specially if you are natural.
Here is how this routine would look:
Upper Body A
- Weighted Pull Ups 3 sets of 4-6 (add 5 pounds once you reach the top of the rep range)
- Barbell press 3 sets of 4-6 (add 5 pounds once you reach the top of the rep range)
- Dumbbell Floor Press 3 sets of 4-6 (add 5 pounds once you reach the top of the rep range)
- Pec Deck 4 sets of 12-15 or cable crossovers
- Lateral Raises Superset with rear delt flyes 4 sets
- Bicep barbell curls 3 sets of 6-8 reps
- Tricep Pushdowns with v bar 3 sets of 6-8 reps
Lower Body A
- Back Squats 3 sets of 4-6 (add 5 pounds once you reach the top of the rep range)
- Romanian deadlift with dumbbells 3 sets of 4-6 (add 5 pounds once you reach the top of the rep range)
- Barbell hip thrusts 3 sets of 4-6 (add 5 pounds once you reach the top of the rep range)
- Leg extensions superset with hamstring curls 4 sets of 12-15
- Calve raises 5 sets of 10-15
- Ab cable crunches 5 sets of 10-15
Upper Body B
- Barbell Incline Chest press 3 sets of 4-6 (add 5 pounds once you reach the top of the rep range)
- Barbell Row 3 sets of 4-6 (add 5 pounds once you reach the top of the rep range)
- Cable lateral raises 4 sets of 20 reps
- Pulldown Machine 3 sets of 8-12 reps
- Pushup variation 3 sets of 8-12 reps
- Bicep dumbbell strict curls 4 sets of 12-15
- Tricep overhead dumbbell extensions 4 sets of 12-15
Lower Body B
- Sumo deadlift or Conventional 3 sets of 4-6 (add 5 pounds once you reach the top of the rep range)
- Romanian deadlift with Barbell 3 sets of 4-6 (add 5 pounds once you reach the top of the rep range)
- Bulgarian Squats 4 sets of 12-15
- Lying Hamstrings machine 4 sets of 12-15
- Seated Calf raises 5 sets of 15-20
- Ab leg raises 5 sets to failure
The belt i recommend for the weighted exercises: HERE
Of course you will not look like captain America in 3 weeks, achieving that level of muscularity takes time, effort and discipline and the most important thing is compromising on eating, resting and training right. I have articles on how to gain and lose weight and how to optimize your recovery.
If you’re a newbie you can expect to reach this level of muscularity if you do everything right in about 3-4 years of consistent training. WHAT 3 YEARS? I am sorry but this is how it goes with natural lifters, progress is slow and nonlinear. The good news are, you can definitely reach this level of muscular development and enjoy your journey.
What it takes to be in Superhero shape
Getting into superhero shape naturally won’t be an easy task. For sure they make it look like all they did was eat chicken and broccoli 8 times per day and workout six days per week for two hours and suddenly got into superhero shape. We do know that there are no shortcuts in fitness and that things don’t come really fast when it comes to building muscle. You need to optimize your nutrition, training, recovery and supplementation.
The gains will come you just need to make sure you eat sleep and recover the right way. When you achieve your goal physique, you still need to have the right habits and keep training the right way, but if you are like me that won’t be a problem because you will enjoy it! Fitness is a long term game and you need to make sure you actually enjoy it! Stick around to learn all about nutrition, training and recovery.
Do you have any questions? Let me know in the comments!